Your Freedom Is Our Focus
Creative and Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney in Colorado Springs
Over 200-Five Star Reviews – 100% FREE Consultations
If you’re facing criminal charges, then you are understandably worried about your freedom and future. We understand how you feel. You have lots of questions and want answers from someone you can trust.
What are the consequences if I’m convicted? Can I go to jail?
What will it cost to fight the charges? Fines? Legal fees?
Can I get the charges reduced or dropped?
Your fight for freedom starts now!
Get your questions answered.
Three seasoned criminal attorneys with winning track records.
Former Colorado Springs prosecutors that know the system.
Free initial consultation.
We promptly return all phone calls.
Thousands of cases resolved.
STRONG TEAM = SMART CHOICE
Get your criminal charges reduced or dropped!
Your best chance of a positive outcome in a criminal case is to work with a team of top-rated criminal defense attorneys in Colorado Springs. James Newby leads that team of experienced and accomplished criminal and DUI defense lawyers.
Life can hit you hard sometimes.
Let’s be honest, we all make mistakes. No one wants to get arrested and face criminal charges. What do you do when that happens? Hiring a good criminal defense attorney is the best decision you can make to protect your freedom.
As your trusted ally, we’ve got your back. You will be able to relax knowing you have the best Colorado Springs defense attorneys in your corner.
A Strong Criminal Defense is Your Advantage
The charges you are facing are not a “case” or a “file” to me – they are a direct threat to everything you hold dear. As your lawyer, I never lose sight of that fact.
FIGHTING DUI CHARGES
Complex rules apply to Colorado DUI arrests and prosecutions. We defend hundreds of DUI cases every year, and we know how to successfully fight DUI charges.
What does it mean to be charged with a felony? It means you are facing years behind bars in a State Prison, thousands in fines, and a burden you will carry for decades.
Misdemeanors are often generalized as “minor” crimes. This is not correct. A misdemeanor conviction can have major long-term consequences.
Domestic Violence comes with many mandatory punishments. You need a lawyer who can navigate the system and knows Colorado Springs prosecutors and judges.
Don’t risk big fines, loss of license or even jail over a traffic violation. Fighting your traffic ticket may allow you to protect your rights now and in the future.
Charges We Defend
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of lawyer do I need for criminal charges?
You need a criminal defense attorney to represent you if you are charged with either of the two categories of crimes: misdemeanors and felonies. Misdemeanors are less serious charges which can result in less than a year of imprisonment or a fine. Felonies are the most serious crimes you can commit and have long jail or prison sentences, fines, or permanent loss of freedom. Tips for choosing your criminal lawyer in Colorado Springs.
How much does a criminal defense attorney cost?
Every criminal case is different. Some can be resolved fairly quickly while others may go all the way through a jury trial and beyond. While it is difficult to say how much a criminal attorney will cost in your particular case, our focus on your protecting your freedom extends to providing exceptional criminal defense representation at a reasonable price.
Should I use a public defender?
A public defender is a free criminal defense lawyer. Who would turn that down? You should. Public defenders are great people, but they can be overwhelmed with cases, lack resources for your defense and may push you to take a plea deal because they are under pressure to get their cases resolved quickly. While there are certainly many situations where accepting a plea deal is the best option, that decision should be based on your unique situation and not because the court-appointed lawyer is too busy and needs to clear his or her caseload.
Learn more: Using a public defender vs hiring an attorney.
What are the characteristics of the best criminal defense lawyers?
Here are the characteristics shared by the best criminal defense lawyers in Colorado Springs.
- Experience successfully defending the crimes you’ve been charged with.
- Former prosecutor experience in Colorado Springs courts.
- Absolute and total commitment to protecting your freedom.
- Ability to explain the law as it relates to your charges and evidence against you.
- Eagerness and willingness to challenge prosecutors.
- Compassion for the ordeal you are facing and the fears you are experiencing
- Problem-solving skills.
- Clear explanation of their fee structure and the potential costs of your defense.
Learn more: Characteristics of the Defense Attorneys in Colorado Springs
What will the criminal defense attorney ask me during my free consultation?
The first thing to understand about a free consultation with a criminal defense lawyer is that you should be completely open and honest when discussing your case. The attorney-client privilege protects everything you say to the lawyer.
Questions to expect:
- Where were you before the incident?
- What were you doing immediately before the incident?
- Who were you with at the time?
- Where and when did the incident take place?
- Why were you there?
- What did you do or not do at the time?
- What did you say, and who did you say it to before or during the incident?
- What, if anything, did other people say or do?
- Did anyone witness the incident, and, if so, who were they?
If you were arrested at the scene of the crime you can expect these questions:
- Where were you when the officer arrested you?
- How did the police approach you?
- What did the police officers say to you?
- If you were driving, did the police officer say why they pulled you over?
- Did you give consent to the police to perform a search of your car or home?
- Did the police conduct such a search, and if so, what did they find?
- Did the police have a search warrant, and if so, did they show you a copy?
- What did the police do leading up to, during, and after your arrest?
- Upon your arrest, did the police officer read you your Miranda rights?
- If an officer questioned you, did you ask for a lawyer, and if so, did the officer keep asking you questions?
- Describe the circumstances of any interrogation, including what the police said and did and what you said and did.
Read more: Questions to Expect at Your Criminal Defense Attorney Free Consultation
Do I need a lawyer for DUI in Colorado?
A DUI conviction in Colorado can cost you your freedom, your driving privileges, your future. With so much on the line, you want to do everything possible to protect your freedom. The single best thing you can do is work with the best DUI attorney in Colorado Springs.
How do I prepare for a domestic violence case?
The majority of domestic violence defendants are first-time offenders who have never been arrested before and are facing their first brush with the criminal justice system. Although it may seem very confusing, frustrating and stressful to go through the process, many cases end with a dismissal of all charges. Read how to fight domestic violence charges.
Meet Our Attorneys
I got into law because of a deep-rooted passion for helping good people that may have made a poor choice that could have lasting consequences.
Criminal Defense Attorney
I'm passionate about personal rights and freedom. I chose a career in criminal defense to help people get a fair shot at defending their freedom.
Criminal Defense Attorney
I believe people charged with a crime deserve an expert on their side. I chose criminal defense to advocate for those not able to speak for themselves.