Consequences of a DUI Conviction

A conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) in Colorado Springs carries severe consequences. Call immediately to speak with a DUI attorney (719) 578-3322.

Consequences of a Colorado Springs DUI Conviction

It should come as no surprise that a conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) in Colorado Springs carries severe consequences. Many times such punishments include hefty fines, jail time, loss of a license, or the installation of an ignition lock on a vehicle.

What few people realize however, is that there are many lesser consequences that often arise as a result of a Colorado Springs DUI conviction. Many times these come as a surprise to the defendant long after the trial is over and sentencing has been issued.

Here are a few of the most common ill-effects of a Colorado Springs DUI conviction:

Decrease in Career Opportunities

Have you ever been asked if you have been convicted of a felony on a job application, or been told that you will be subject to a background check when applying for new employment? If so, you aren’t alone. Many employers are very picky with who they hire these days, and it is very likely that you will be bypassed if it is discovered that you have a DUI conviction in Colorado Springs on your record.

Higher Insurance Premiums

With a DUI conviction, don’t be surprised to see your auto insurance rates skyrocket. Some insurance companies may even drop your coverage altogether if they feel you are a liability.

Imposition of Travel Restrictions

If you have two or more DUI convictions on your record you will be subject to the interstate compact clause. This clause restricts interstate travel for people under active supervision conditions for their DUI sentence, which means you can be prohibited from leaving Colorado.

Loss of Professional License

If you receive a DUI conviction and have a legal license or a medical license, it is not unusual if that professional license is suspended or revoked as a result of your behavior.

Denial of Rental Car Privileges

Many rental agencies will refuse to rent a vehicle to an individual who has a DUI conviction, and some will even restrict anyone with a traffic related conviction from renting.

Denial of US Citizenship or Naturalization

While it is unclear if a DUI conviction is severe enough to prevent a person from becoming a US citizen, it is something that will need to be reported and will certainly be taken into consideration. In order to avoid any conflict it is best to proceed with a naturalization or citizenship application with a clean record.

Loss of College Scholarships

Many colleges and universities have strict codes of conduct which all students are expected to follow. A DUI is certainly in violation of any policy regarding student actions, and may result in serious sanctions such as loss of academic or athletic scholarships.

Are You Facing DUI Charges in Colorado Springs or El Paso County?

It is clear to see that a Colorado Springs DUI conviction can have a ripple effect and create many negative consequences for a person. Above are a few of the most common repercussions, and many more ramifications are often felt as a person tries to go about their daily life while living with a DUI conviction.

You need legal help as soon as possible if you've received a DUI.  Contact Colorado Springs attorney James Newby today at (719) 578-3322 for a free, no obligation case evaluation.

If after hours please complete our contact form and we will schedule you for a call or meeting with Mr. Newby as soon as possible.

Colorado Springs Criminal Defense Attorney James NewbyCall us (719) 578-3322

Or click to email us for a free consultation with Colorado Springs Criminal Defense Attorney James Newby.

James Newby Law
102 S. Tejon Street, Suite 1100
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Hours: M-F 8:30am - 5:00pm

Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to receive a free consultation on your case.

Please type your full name.
Invalid phone format. Please use xx-xxx-xxxx
Invalid email address.
Invalid Input
Invalid Input