Want to Make The Best Decision About Your Traffic Ticket? Talk to a Traffic Lawyer.
Hiring a Colorado Springs traffic lawyer after receiving a ticket or citation, and especially if your license faces imminent suspension, is a smart move. Why, do you ask? Because you may not be aware of your options or understand the consequences of taking the “easy way” out by simply paying the fine and moving on.
Why You Should Set Up a Meeting With a Colorado Springs Traffic Lawyer
A traffic ticket in Colorado may not seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But the reality is that even one traffic violation can cost you a great deal - hefty fines, a hike in your car insurance premiums, and in some cases, loss of your driving privileges or even jail time.
Traffic violations in Colorado go on your driving record and accumulate “points.” An adult driver (over 21 years of age) cannot receive 12 points or more in a 12-month period or 18 points in two years. If you cross those thresholds, you face a license suspension of up to one year.
But if you have a chance of avoiding such a fate, why wouldn’t you take it?
Further Reading: How Can I Get Points Off My License In Colorado?
That is what your first meeting with a Colorado Springs traffic lawyer is all about: getting an informed and knowledgeable opinion from an experienced local attorney about the best course of action. While having a seasoned traffic lawyer on your side does not guarantee that you will get out of a ticket or avoid a license suspension, it does ensure that you’ll make an informed decision about how to proceed.
As part of evaluating your situation, the traffic lawyer you meet with will need some information. That means they will have questions for you. In turn, you likely have questions for them. Here are some of the questions that may come up at your first meeting with a Colorado Springs traffic lawyer.
Questions the Traffic Lawyer May Ask You
How best to deal with a traffic violation depends on several factors. Some of those relate to the alleged offense itself, while others involve a broader look at your past driving history. Be ready to answer the following questions or have responsive information and documentation available:
- Do you have a copy of the ticket or citation?
- What traffic offense were you ticketed for?
- Have you responded to the ticket in any way?
- Can you describe the circumstances when you were pulled over, including where you were and the time when the police stopped you?
- What did the officer say to you or do during the traffic stop?
- Do you dispute that you committed the infraction police cited you for?
- How many traffic offenses have you been cited for during the past 12 months? The last 18 months?
- What offenses did police previously cite you for?
- What was the outcome of your prior tickets over the past 12-18 months? Did you plea guilty and pay the fine? Or did you fight the ticket?
- Do you have a copy of your driving record?
- Do you have auto insurance? If so, please provide the carrier and policy number.
- Have you ever had your license suspended?
- Have you recently received a notice from the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles regarding an administrative license suspension hearing?
Questions to Ask a Colorado Springs Traffic Lawyer
Chances are that you do not often deal with traffic citations, so you will likely have questions you would like answered at your first meeting with a traffic attorney. Ask whatever questions that you have in mind as well as some or all of these:
- Should I fight my ticket?
- What are the downsides to pleading guilty to the offense and paying the fine?
- How much experience do you have with Colorado Springs traffic violations?
- Will you be handling my matter personally, or will you hand me off to another lawyer in your office?
- Will you go to court on my behalf?
- How much will it cost me to hire you?
Traffic Ticket? License Suspension Hearing? Speak to a Lawyer Immediately.
If you recently received a traffic ticket, face a license suspension hearing, or have any other questions or concerns about traffic violations, call the experienced Colorado Springs traffic lawyers at James Newby Law today to arrange for a free consultation.