Still, a domestic violence charge isn’t the type of case you want to entrust solely to your attorney; all people should have a good understanding of domestic violence law.
Domestic violence is defined as a threat or act of violence between two people who are in a relationship. The people do not need to be married but they do need to be in an intimate relationship. The violence in question could be control, coercion, intimidation, or punishment. Your Colorado Springs domestic violence attorney will help you define the exact category.
While there are all sorts of domestic violence cases, many can fit into one of the following five categories. These categories encompass the most common types of domestic violence:
- Battery – Battery is when the injury incurred as a result of violence is a misdemeanor and is not severe enough to warrant a felony.
- Child Endangerment or Child Abuse – This occurs when a child is involved in a domestic violence dispute or close to the area where there is violence against another.
- Elder Abuse – Neglect, financial fraud, or physical or emotional abuse to a person over 65 years old can also be considered domestic violence
- Corporal Injury to a Spouse – This occurs when there is evidence that physical violence has occurred (such as swelling or a bruise). The violence could either be classified as a felony or misdemeanor.
- Criminal Threats – Domestic violence doesn’t always mean that physical harm has occurred. Threatening harm or serious injury to another person is also a form of domestic violence.
Your Colorado Springs domestic violence attorney should be skilled in handling any manner of domestic violence charge, especially if it falls into one of the above categories. Remember that those who are arrested for domestic violence won’t always be charged with a crime. Oftentimes the police will make several arrests to stop the threat of further violence while they sort out the situation.
Those who are charged with a domestic violence offense need to get a criminal defense attorney to ensure that they are protected. Being charged with a crime is a serious offense, and those who don’t have legal protection often don’t know the appropriate steps to take at a time that is exceedingly troubling and stressful. A good Colorado Springs domestic violence attorney will be the accused’s best advocate and best chance for success in what is always a difficult situation.
Contact James Newby Law for advice and council concerning your Colorado Springs domestic violence changes.